[Xmca-l] Re: Dynamics of Developmental Change

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 10 15:49:15 PDT 2015

I am with you in my continuing, growing, wandering understanding of
Vygotsky, David. Including what he had to say about social smiling. And the
fact that you so skillfully bring in the psychology of art side of LSV to
get us
out from under the schoolmaster seems really important to me.

I think that perhaps the Nso and other data of this kind, if we had good
concurrent sociolinguistic documentation a la Ochs and Schieffelin, it
might be possible to specify more "lines" of development that get rewoven
during the 2-3month change. It ought to help pin down more reliably what
level of the social environment we are referring to when we use the notion
of social situation of development.

As for primary intersubjectivity...... any evidence among Nso?

mike