[Xmca-l] Re: Objective and Subjective ZPDs

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Sep 7 01:50:15 PDT 2015

Of course we must distinguish, David, between between the
environment and the neoformations (which are the opposites
here) and the social situation of development to boot.
Distinctions are necessary wherever there is a word. But the
point is whether you have a concept of the unity, and if so
whether you can make a beginning from that unity and proceed
by means of differentiation. This is I believe, Vygotsky's
method, which is in contrast to the approach which takes two
concepts, each of them understood and defined independently
of one another, and then *glues* them together. Vygotsky is
very good at giving us concepts which are subject-objects;
when we grasp these concepts, then we can grasp subjective
and objective aspects of the whole. The whole is the social
situation of development; the child's environment is just
one aspect of the SSD cannot be meaningfully and completely
described if it is taken as a starting point. The same goes
for the psychological neoformation. An action is a unity of
consciousness and behaviour, for example, and that is a
starting point for us.

Ad. units of analysis. There is no implication that every
unit is the same. Every molecule of H2O is identical but
that is a peculiarity of the quantum world. A house is built
of many different kinds of component, many of them bricks,
and an organism is made up of many different kinds of cell,
even though all these cells appeared by differentiation from
originally a very simple organism.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/