[Xmca-l] Re: Oliver Sacks/Romantic Science

‪Haydi Zulfei‬ ‪ haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Sun Sep 6 07:02:49 PDT 2015

Andy ,
I think you agree this be our last trial both for reasons of participation rules and the coming in of new threads .
I said I don't know how the matrix and the Johari Window work . I came in when Peter gave his figure . I was partially known to that kind of matter . I resorted to Davydov's and Ilyenko's writings . I said I believed for some #unknown , now well-known reason , the vertical axis should be reversed Because all three categories before "true concept" somehow are defective . And you know it's just true scientific concepts which are , to the extent that and as long as they are workable in life , absolute .

Now forgive me if I have to read your text in parts (below) :

      From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
 To: "‪eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
 Sent: Sunday, 6 September 2015, 5:07:10
 Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Oliver Sacks/Romantic Science

Haydi, you ask is it true that "All true concepts are both
concrete and universal"?
Vygotsky uses the expression "true concept" in a quite
specific sense, namely a concept as it is first acquired
purely through instruction. "Instruction" means in some
institution.

[[Acquisition of true concepts is not a matter of "where" , is a matter of how . Read about this please on Ilyenko . Davydov's reason for the specific type of teaching and generalization he suggests is that with discrete items learners even at post-puberty do not acquire logical-theoretical conceptions appropriately . And now you say what they get at school is a "concept" . Could we as academics exactly and precisely enumerate items of "furniture" . Because what we got was a table is something you get around for dinner , has four legs , etc. In a house , our learner groups according to the appearances : tables , chairs , sofas ; rugs , curtains , blankets , etc. so on so forth . Then , when is the time to get the concept of furniture ? and as with double stimulation , how can they find the commonalities between different items of "furniture" ? having a seat , getting-around-ness , succeptibility of being laid down , legged-ness? house-ware-ness , fetchablity , fixability ? That's why true workable concepts are absolute , concrete , and universal because they need deeper and deeper thinking and deeper and deeper analyses  and deeper and deeper trials .]]
In this case a "true concept" is not concrete, it is
abstract. A "true concept" becomes concrete over time,
through experiences, but at first it is abstract.
Because it is acquired from an institution a "true concept"
is universal, that is to say, it is part of an entire social
formation.

[[Please agree in this case we don't yet have a 'true concept" ; You're a scholar . please see what Davydov has to say about "notions" and "concepts" . And what between conceptions and concepts , maybe in Davydov . And did Vygotsky (PROCESSES of concept formation) say or did I say true concepts are there in that box . go take it ? At first , it may not be a concept altogether . A.A.Leontiev and Akhutina have worked on "production of speech" Those in the West as well . Motive , inner planning , inner speech , semantics (grammar) , external speech plus many details . Yes , it takes time until "word" comes into being and then word , that is , the cover for meaning stabilizes . But inside , the value or the meaning MOVES . A long way towards the end , the concept . In double stimulation , too , what is carved into the bottom of the blocks remains the same but though they're wooden , they seem to have in them a turbulent sea of rising-falling waves capable of ruining or erecting a world of values . "universality" for me , as I've read , means our whole (concept) in each case within typology has already been purified of non-essentials and non-necessaries , such that we have assigned the particulars in each phenomenon , then have weighed the particulars of that phenomenon against the particulars of other related phenomena to see if we can make a generalization , in the end we reach a 'concept" ; I'ts in that case we can say we can find the particular in the universal and the universal in the particular .]]
These answers are given in the terms of Vygotsky's "Thinking
and Speech," that is to say from the point of view of
Psychology, yes, but Cultural Psychology, not positivist
psychology.

 From a Hegelian point of view (not psychology), a true
concept is abstract but also concrete, because it is the
product and expression of an entire historical development.

[[Nice and thanks as always for your co-operation . But I stressed that I'm talking within my assigned limits ; the least I can say is when Post-Hegelians freed the HEAD which had been stuck to the earth , feet were fixed instead and everything got upright .]]
That's my answer to your first question. I can't deal with
everything in this message. But ...

About "fuzzy boundaries." The way you specify this question:
'to blend some "matter" with some "idea" and some idea with
some matter' is ridiculed by Vygotsky. To talk of "fuzzy
boundaries" implies that there are different kinds of stuff,
i.e., existants, but by definition ideas are not existent. [[the idea of the table does not exist#the idea of table is not a BEING]]
The way you pose the question reifies ideas. In the
psychological sense, ideas are internal, psychological
entities and it is absurd to think of blurring a "boundary"
between consciousness and matter. No such boundary, fuzzy or
firm, exists. I think the only consistent way to make sense
of this is to accept that matter and consciousness are
*relational* not absolute concepts. What you do, including
what you think, is material (objective) from my point of
view but from your point of view there is an absolute sharp
distinction between your thoughts and your behaviour.
[[Dear Andy , if you consider that I denied "fuzzy boundaries" within our context from the beginning , much of your accusations will be removed . You still argued the fuzzy boundaries is the revolutionary act which I now see which I now don't and again I explained that I had taken neither the fuzzy boundaries nor the revolutionary act as such . The beginning refers to when you , taking my "external transformables" as mere objective materials , posed the idea that in recent decades both terms have gone  further than the dimensions I had depicted . I took it for some idea indicating that ontology penetrates epistemology , vice versa . Then I referred you to my previous message to this one . Now again you say the way YOU specify . I've not specified and I'm not specifying . I attributed that idea to the way YOU had argued . Now you can say directly that I've been mistaken with your point and add that you've even been justified with Vygostky's ridicule . I remember Martin once telling me to be careful with my Farsi translation of the "Crisis" especially to the end when I reach the concepts of ontology and epistemology . The point is so delicate and intriguing , you agree . And now it's my turn to tell you , but  Andy , "Now you argue ontology could talk even about the being of thoughts and ideas Now you say by definition ideas are not existent" . And if someone (other than me and within this context) tends to prove that there could be a fuzzy boundary between , say , thought and body , why should we not accept his argument ? As you say , the implication goes so far as to say thought is stuffy , consciousness is stuffy , word is stuffy , (established here time and again) and body is stuffy . I also say these are just relational ; they don't have their independent BEING#NOT BEING . But when you say 'stuffy' = existants and add the above are 'materials' , what remains to be discussed ? I see contradictions . The way I posed the question does not reify 'ideas' ; for me ideas and all such things emanate from a BEING in a societal context . I stress this was a thing I attributed to you . I just can apologize for the attribution . YOU say : " In the psychological sense, ideas are internal, psychological
entities and it is absurd to think of blurring a 'boundary'
between consciousness and matter. I have no doubt that Marx by saying "Behind consciousness is BEING" did by no means mean that these are two different things and there might be a probability of creating something in between them ; in the context , he meant the beginnings or precedence of one over the other (the word and the act and other stories you remember) . And I do remember the "highest property of matter" also . BTW , I've not heard you oppose those who believe in the 'materiaity' of thought and consciousness . How is it , then , that here you , maybe unknowingly , put an equal sign between 'idea' and 'consciousness' ? In a bright shining day , you say by definition , ideas do not exist though here you say of psychological ENTITIES which inevitably then, have to not exist and though whatever man has at his disposal as books , huge encys and dics , on computers , etc. SEEM to be just hallucinations and phantoms . I know where the problem lies . The first test you gave me was with the word 'exist' . Now It's time to replace it with some other term . Terminologically speaking , ideas exist but are not BEINGS . And , No , in my point of view , too , thoughts and behaviours are interactional or dialectical .]]
 And
the movement of neurons is not thought, but merely the
material substratum of thinking. Thinking is a function of
the entire person. If I consider the activity of a person
before me, there is both material behaviour (physical
movements) and consciousness lying "behind" the behaviour.
Thinking and behaving are united in activity, but they are
not two different substances which are mixed or blurred,
because you can (as an observer) make no distinction between
them if you going to speak scientifically. Look at "Thinking
and Speech." Does Vygotsky make a distinction between
concepts and forms of action? I think not. These are just
forms of abstraction from one integral, irreducible
substance, activity.

Please see if the following satisfies you with ontology and epistemology :
There were many exchanges of thought among the audience .
But one man's thought shone like a piece of diamond / crystal .

We have transgressed the one / two page/s norm in each post . I personally give my apologies . If you agree , we continue offlist .

Larry ! I'm indebted to you from time immemorial , I really like to talk with you as it were . I'll try !! Thanks !
Haydi

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/