[Xmca-l] Re: Oliver Sacks/Romantic Science

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 3 08:31:32 PDT 2015

I don't entirely follow the last part of your note re my short piece
summarizing my take on romantic science, Larry. I had not made that
particular connection to Dewey, but it seems appropriate. Experiencing the
process one seeks to impose on others seems one important in the kind of
work I was doing.

Your suggestion about  the person involvement of the practice being
"contrasted with the notion of having a "reference POINT” as a place from
which to connect up with other "reference points/stances” I interpret as a
rephrasing of an attempt to put the idiographic and nomothetic in dialogue
with each other as a part of the process of research. I believe that is
what my take on Romantic Science seeks to do, with whatever degree of
success.

mike