[Xmca-l] Re: Oliver Sacks/Romantic Science

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 17:20:09 PDT 2015

I think it's the eternal problem, Mike: how do we relate the instance to
the type? The usual solution is something like a division of labor:
clinical versus theoretical. If you are doing clinical work, you start with
the instance and if it doesn't relate to the type then we have to turn our
backs on the type and treat the instance  (e.g. when Sacks' cancer doesn't
relate to the generalization that eye cancers do not normally metastasize
to the liver). If you are a theoretician, like the gentleman urging us all
to "fuck nuance", then you turn your back on the instance and consider an
ideal type, or better yet, the system as a whole (e.g. when Durkheim said
that the particular reasons for killing yourself that we find in suicide
notes are utterly irrelevant and he approved when the British government
started to just bag and bin them).

I don't think that either Luria or Vygotsky fits into either category.They
were both both theorizing clinicians and clinical theorists.  Even in his
case studies, Luria's interest was always in the "extreme type". And
Vygotsky, who certainly believed in the "experimentum crucis", had a
penchant for making the gendankenexperiment into a real experiment. Here
too, though, there is a limit. I think the study of language development
simply cannot use either the extreme type or the gedankexperiment, Language
is just too sensitive to human self consciousness. In no other science is
it permissible to fabricate data--do linguists get an exception just
because its so much easier and therefore more of a tradition? I think
not--and so I think that linguists like Langacker who don't use real data
will inevitably get left out of a truly structural-functional-genetic
approach.

David Kellogg