[Xmca-l] Re: Glyphosate & pathways to modern diseases

Alfredo Jornet Gil a.j.gil@iped.uio.no
Tue Oct 20 21:29:54 PDT 2015

Thanks for the link,

I totally agree that we should fight to put ecology as a basic human right. Indeed, I all the time wonder how to do our work as academics, and in particular those dealing with education, more relevant to that issue too. Should not we put ecology as a basic orientation into our work as well?

In my dissertation, I referred to "ecological approaches" to define an epistemological position, and discussed it analytically. For my defense lecture, my opponents assigned me the topic: "Educational IMPLICATIONS of ecological approaches... ". I had focused on theorizing a lot, but when I was invited to think of implications I realized that the only way to move the ecological stance forth into actual practice, and not leaving it just for armchair discussion, was to make it a guiding principle to all aspects of life, including the purpose of education and of work.

There are associations of concerned scientists, students, and I know many in xmca take an activist stance in their research. Still, I feel that, at least in departments of education such as mine, considerations of ecology and of how to contribute to an ecologically minded society should be of highest relevance, just as fostering "21th century skills" (which surprisingly do not tend to consider ecology much), seem to be have been for a while.

Alfredo
From: xmca-l-bounces+a.g.jornet=iped.uio.no@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces+a.g.jornet=iped.uio.no@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Lplarry <lpscholar2@gmail.com>
Sent: 21 October 2015 05:57
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Glyphosate & pathways to modern diseases

Martin,
This is one more example of the  ecological poisoning of our home.
I was wondering what others think of the movements that are forming to put ecology as a basic human right that is written into constitutions.
This move allows people to bring their governments to court to determine if they have broken constitutional laws.
This was done in Denmark and the government was found negligent.
What do others think of this worldwide initiative?
Larry