[Xmca-l] Re: Interesting to think about: the social springs of giving

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Oct 18 20:58:26 PDT 2015

Yes, indeed I am interested, Mike.
Critiquing the concept of "social capital" and developing an
alternative concept of "social solidarity" and searching for
a suitable unit of analysis was how I got started down the
track I have been on ever since then, about 2003. What is
the difference between community as in all people living in
such and such town, and "real" community? Robert Putnam had
assembled evidence that almost any collective activity
fosters what he called "social capital." The problem was
that he couldn't distinguish between the mafia taking root
in a community and a community taking control of crime on
its streets, etc. His classic "example" activity was the
formation of choir groups, proven promoters of collective
"wealth".

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/