[Xmca-l] Reflective Discourse on XMCA

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri Oct 9 17:08:52 PDT 2015

Dear Colleagues -- From its inception, one significant feature of
xlchc/xmca was that conversations seems to go on for a while and kind of
peter out (if they started at all) and it was rare for participants to
return to consider what they had written before and what, perhaps,
collectively, might be learned from the chatting. I liken the process to
Vygotskian chaining. Interesting. Individuals display what they have taken
away when they write later on, I often
feel like a have learned a lot.

But still, we seem to have no way to turn around to examine the results of
a given conversation, no matter how exciting it seemed at the time.

Thanks to Katie Simpson, the Comm Dept/LCHC grad student who assists in
production of MCA, and thanks to the discussion that Rolf and Alfredo
provided us in their discussion of the ideas of Leigh Star, maybe we have
the beginnings of a socio-technical solution to what for me, at least, is a
problem.

What Katie has done is to peel away all the headers and present quoted
messages in different threads that
emerged during the discussion. Then she categorized these into
Introduction & Conclusion
Boundary Objects
Space and Place
Imagination

I have no idea if anyone is interested in using these materials to revisit
what we discussed earlier and perhaps to
come up with a deeper understanding of the interlocking issues involved. Do
the three threads, now with the
noisy pixels dissolved away, form any more general pattern? For me, for
example, the role of imagination in relation to boundary objects has been
very helpful. And others?

I attach for now only the introduction. I am not sure which if any of the
three sub-topics people might like to discuss or in what order.

We have a while before the new and ever exciting issue of MCA comes out, so
perhaps a time to pause, and reflect?

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch