[Xmca-l] Re: imagination and controlling the perception of visual illusions.

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:08:06 PDT 2015

In the London tube (underground) trains _can_ come from the right with
respect to the platform -- at least, I do have memories of them doing so
for _certain_ platforms.  But on the whole I think they usually come from
the left.

With respect to the construction of this particular illusion, I think that
the speed of the train is a function of the step in the image sequence,
which is a function of a necessarily disparate gap between frames so that
there is no obvious continuity of the people/distinct objects within the
train.  So I suspect the impression of the train speed is coincidental and
not related to real speeds (other than not being too obviously fast).

I haven't looked at it for long, but what I've found is that the train (for
me) first goes away from the platform, it takes me a short while to bring
it back the other way (maybe 5 seconds), then after a few seconds to switch
to outbound again, and thereafter I'm able to switch it back and forth with
relative immediacy aided with a bit of imagination.

Best,
Huw