[Xmca-l] Re: Two paths of mediation, or perhaps three

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 08:31:17 PST 2015

I wouldn't have thought that a prior meaning blocks the path to the primary
meaning necessarily.  The norm, it seems, is that we are unaware of the
etymological roots of words.  And that unless one was practiced at
questioning the structure of the word forms then a discovery is not really
blocked as so much as never sought in the first place.  Personally, it
seems to me that when I enquire into an etymological meaning and find it
consonant with a a more pervasive (though little understood) understanding,
I take some temporary satisfaction in one more accounting in the reckoning
against our stupid society.

As for (sauer)kraut, I think we could say the same for the more
contemporary neo-liberal.  Both terms point back to the speaker (and
artificer) of the word's confusions and sour-grapes which are projected
onto the protagonist  -- such is war and politics.

Huw