[Xmca-l] Re: Literature review of first-person studies of apprenticeship

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:27:58 PST 2015

According to the definition here
<http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/research/activity/corpus/publications/introduction-corpus-investigative-techniques.aspx>,
a corpus is determined by measures of external validity (i.e.
representative of the field of inquiry).

Its not clear to me how that can be productively applied to situating one's
work/theory.  For conceptual distinctions it seems that the opposite is
more useful: to garner cases which exemplify useful differences.

I would have thought that something like a contemporary version of
"[psychological and] sociological paradigms" (e.g. Burrell & Morgan's
volume) applied to the field of "the personal and social situation of
apprenticeship" would be the order of the day.  Though I am guessing that
the work required to go through and grok something like that would not sit
well with many a contemporary PhD (given the assumption that CHAT studied
rigorously is a multi-year project).

Best,
Huw