[Xmca-l] Re: Armistice/Veterans, what's in a name?

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:04:56 PST 2015

Without conflating it with our social ineffectiveness at politics (i.e.
war), the notion of a smiling disposition is one that can be valued even
though it may invite stupification too (i.e. a canalisation of
consciousness according to the 'simple' present).  It seems that we need
and value the robust ability to get through difficult times, but that we
don't want this robustness to inure ourselves to a lack of consciousness
for possibilities.  So we have a notion of "survival by smiling, and frown
when you can afford to", which one might take as a philosophical
disposition (if this is the 'bottom truth' of someone's experience).

This isn't to say that 'green' soldiers' smiling is of the same quality,
but perhaps in the training of such men and women it is considered an
appropriate and natural form that is also compatible with the 'smiling
disposition'.

It is interesting how philosophical and political orientations (as a basis
of orientation) go largely unexamined in all streams of life.  Even to the
extent that it is the intention to avoid examining them that seems to
factor largely in many political disputes.

Best,
Huw