[Xmca-l] Re: Halloween, Yale and other complications

David Preiss preiss.xmca@gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 16:58:06 PST 2015

Thanks for the link, Peter! I will hear it.

It is curious how Halloween became a mirror of how difficult is to deal
with cultural and other differences.

When is a costume celebratory and when is a costume offensive? There is not
clear-cut line.

One wears a costume because one is borrowing other (living or dead)
person’s identity to play a game. Indeed, wearing a costume always involves
some sort of pretense. I pretend to be somebody else as a part of an
activity that intends to be non-serious and involves and agreed (or
collaborative) suspension of the rules regulating social life.

Problem is we all take our (cultural, other) identities quite seriously.
Yet, if we don't suspend the serious rules we adhere to build our
identities at some point in our daily lives there is no chance at all to
make a costume party. And if we can’t make a costume party, we may become
not only boring but eventually fundamentalist.

Therefore, there has to be room to play, to make a costume party, at least
in a society that allows for some difference.

Question remains, how far can we go in this game so it does not become an
aggression instead of a celebration of difference. If we set up rules, as
some people made at Yale, we kill the party. If we don’t, we risk an
identity conflict. There is no clear way out of this.