[Xmca-l] Re: [Fwd: Re: Article for Discussion]

Kim Skinner kskinner@lsu.edu
Sun Nov 8 19:04:30 PST 2015

Hi Larry,
I appreciate your comments and agree with your complication of "space" and "reasons."
The philosophy club was indeed much more than a dialogic space, though in this particular manuscript I did focus on the words of the
teacher and children. The use and function of the physical space, for example, was transformed after school by the teacher and children
when they moved furniture to sit in a circle on the floor and created anchor charts as artifacts and reminders of the differentiated utility
of this space after the last bell.

I agree that by focusing on the rules seems counterintuitive as it was, after all, the "rules" of school discourse the teacher was
trying to escape. However, as the philosophy club only met once a week, the "new rules" were important reminders for both the children and the teacher who transitioned from the school day IRE discourse to a peer led whole group conversation with the ringing of a bell. While the
ground rules appear to delimit practices, in actuality their explicitness opened up this creative, situational, and dialogic space.
Kim

Kim Skinner, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Literacy Studies
Louisiana State University