[Xmca-l] Re: 4 experiencing fans

Nektarios Alexi NEKTARIOS.ALEXI@cdu.edu.au
Mon Nov 2 18:02:09 PST 2015

I have just finished reading the article of Vasilyuk  "An Historical-Methodological Analysis
of Psychotherapeutic Reliances"

This article is clearly an apologetical article of a deep Christian orthodox believer and practitioner and I think it can only make sense to readers that have some background in the readings of the  Fathers of the Church and more specifically the collection of texts of Philokallia which is the summit of the experience of the Christian hermits and ascets of Eastern christianity.

>From the notes at the end of the article:

10. “‘The doctrine of theosis is the central topic of Byzantine theology
and the entire experience of Eastern Christianity’ (Archbishop Vasil). . . .
The doctrine of Theosis is the most maximalist and audacious ‘religious
ideal’ that can be imagined” (Khoruzhii, 1995, pp. 123–24).

Otherwise the main point of this article it might make absolutely no sense.

Nektarios
From: xmca-l-bounces+nektarios.alexi=cdu.edu.au@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces+nektarios.alexi=cdu.edu.au@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Tuesday, 3 November 2015 10:29 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: 4 experiencing fans

So we have seen how the work of "Chinese whispers" can
substitute for interpretation, Alex.
I doubt if any English speaker, who cannot read Russian,
could possibly gain an idea of what Vygotsky meant by
"perezhivanie" on the basis of English translations of
Vygotsky's writings.
The make-do translation of "lived experience" only serves to
convince people that they need enquire no further.
Perezhivanie is a word in the Russian language however, so
however Vygotsky integrated the concept into his theory, the
concept does exist in Russian culture, and is available for
Vasilyuk and others to use.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/