[Xmca-l] Re: 4 experiencing fans

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Mon Nov 2 03:19:19 PST 2015

Is Christianity such a monolith that it can be viewed as a single tradition? Vygotsky positioned it as such in the 1920s, and as a devoted Communist, it may have appeared to him that way (hard to say in such provincial societies what was and wasn't available to their vision). But surely not now, given how many Christian denominations there are and how they stand in contrast to one another.

I say this as an atheist with no dog in this fight, just a resistance to overgeneralization. p

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2015 2:01 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: 4 experiencing fans

The material in the second, longer article, would be of very great interest for any xmca-ers who are counsellor or psychotherapists. It is, amongst other things, a pretty comprehensive manual for psychotherapy. It is also particularly interesting in its effort to place Soviet psychology in the context of the history of psychology worldwide and the various traditions current today (including the Christian tradition). And of course lots about perezhivanie, a.k.a. experiencing.
There are some efforts to systematise that I am not so sure about, in particular a complex concept of "mental image" (or representation). The systematic material is very condensed and hard to follow. But it is very challenging and stimulating.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/