[Xmca-l] Re: Stereotyping Latin America and Mexico at the U. of Louisville

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Sun Nov 1 12:50:31 PST 2015

I happened to have lunch on Friday at a shopping mall here in Bogotá. I quickly found myself surrounded by ghouls and vampires (watching a vampire eat a hamburger, fake blood dripping down her chin, I found rather fascinating!), but I was surprised by a number of people wearing sombreros. Then the sound of a mariachi band floated up from below. Then a woman passed by made up as La Catrina. My conclusion was that association with the Mexican Day of the Dead has become an alternative to the commercial Halloween that is now common not just in the USA but many other countries. But perhaps I was wrong.

I took some photos...

Martin

[cid:7882FC03-8EF5-4B7F-9056-55964FF4CFB2]

[cid:300E2D0E-A023-4F6A-AE3F-BEF36D54A9A2]