[Xmca-l] Re: Also NY Review of Books

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue May 12 18:43:31 PDT 2015

Allow me to make an interpretation of the quote which makes
sense of why Sacks would talk about neurons when introducing
the topic of individuality.
The contradiction is one inherent in all living beings, and
in human beings in particular.
Our neurons connect only to other neurons, our own eyes, our
own stomach, our own hands. I can only see what falls on my
eyes, I can only digest what is in my stomch and hold only
what is in my hand. But our minds are not confined in this
way under the skin. On the contrary. What is see is not in
the eye, but is a material object; what I digest and gives
me life is a product of industry, what I hold in my had is
an artefact - the object of my desire is objective,
material. The content of mind is objective and irreducibly
social. But the form is that of a biological organism.
So our minds and our bodies are a living subject-object
contradiction.
Individuality is not the same as "individualism." To be an
individual does not imply selfishness, independent thinking,
neo-liberal delusions or anything of the kind. It is simply
to be an organism. An individual constituent of the human
race, which becomes a social being.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/