[Xmca-l] Re: Also NY Review of Books

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue May 12 09:29:57 PDT 2015

Yes, I agree the neuro-fascination goes off the rails at some point, but
I'm willing to travel along a good ways with the neuroscientists to see
where the tracks lead.

My main concern with this quote was with the sole focus on individualism.
Sure, individualism is a part of the story, but why make that the focus?
(and are we really "hard-wired" for individualism? Seems to me that
individualism would have been a phylogenetically late development - so much
so that individualism would more likely be evolutionarily epiphenomenal and
thus very unlikely to be "hard-wired" per se.)

And, what of sociality? Of the communal and collective? (and yes, there is
some concern about oversimplifying this duality of individual/social,
but... well..., he started it!).

So I wonder if, instead of the focus on individualism in that quote, why
not say it as follows (italics mark my substitutions to Sacks' original
quote):
“*Sociality* is deeply imbued in us from the very start, at the neuronal
level. . . . We are destined, whether we wish it or not, to a life of *communal
and collective*-development, to be a part of *various social wholes*
through life.”

Seems perhaps more true than the other way round. Anyone with me?

And, I don't know about Luria, but isn't this what Vygotsky was up to?
(following on the heels of Marx). Sociality is the phylogenetic (and
ontogenetic) precursor and individuality develops out of this propensity
for sociality? The individual emerges from one's immersion in the social?
Or am I still oversimplifying?

-greg