[Xmca-l] Re: Winn's Exploring the Literate Trajectories of Youth across Time and Space

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 30 14:27:54 PDT 2015

Peter-

At first I didn't get at all what the connection between the discussion of
Ilyenkov and Maisha's work, but I think its a great idea to discuss the
question you pose. Is "literacy" idealized differently in the two
communities of practice (school and outside-school)? I have difficulty
keeping straight with ideas such as "subjective image of reality" but there
seems to be little doubt that there are different values being embodied in
standard school literacy practices and the multi-modal, multi-generational
practices in the sites that Maisha describes. Seems like this could be a
useful lens for addressing my question about how.when.under-what-conditions
the practices and associated values of an evening get together at a
community center can
be at least part of a high school educational curriculum.

Only sometimes under special conditions seems to be the answer. Is that
answer accepted in
Ed schools these days?

mike

--
"Each new level of development is a new relevant context." C.H. Waddington