[Xmca-l] Re: Winn's Exploring the Literate Trajectories of Youth across Time and Space

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:00:12 PDT 2015

Annalisa, thanks for the article.

I wanted to focus on the word "intimacy" as a criteria of Winn's project or
"work" by drawing attention to Richard Palmer's manifesto for literacy
theory which he pursues in his book Hermeneutics.  [see page 277].

Richard is making a distinction between literature as "object" and literacy
as "works". In Buber's familiar I-Thou terminology, the difference between
literacy as I-It [object] and I-Thou [work]. .
Richard states:
The work when conceived as an object  [instead of a work] becomes simply an
entity ABOUT which knowledge is acquired through spatializing ideation,
dissection, and analysis. Such an approach represents the transposition
into criticism of a technological approach.
Larry