[Xmca-l] Re: Winn's Exploring the Literate Trajectories of Youth across Time and Space

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:58:33 PDT 2015

First a request. I cannot find the Winn article on my onbox. Would someone
please repost.

Peter, I will give a personal example that supports your description of the
constraints that teaching in school engenders.  When AERA came to Vancouver
this international forum was highlighted in Vancouver schools inviting
participation by teachers.
However, at the actual conference I noticed that most of the participants
were from university departments and rarely did I meet a local teacher
taking a professional day to attend the conference.

Teacher counsellors in Vancouver receive $75 a year for professional
development and to go to a conference is an act of dedication.

If, as Peter described, a teacher besides teaching, takes on other duties
in the community, then the opportunity to also "reflect" on their practice
becomes an act of personal dedication committed to individually.  The
opportunity for front line teachers to gather regularly together and
collectively reflect on their practice is even rarer [and more precious].

Mike, recently you reflected on a professor who has tenure and a home and
financial concerens having constraints on how they approach their work.
What Peter is highlighting is the constraints on "reflective time".
In some ways a university setting as a social situation of development is
far removed from the community of educators who they are addressing.  When
you ask how to generalize the understandings of Winn and the critique
of current practices, the lack of opportunity for "ongoing" shared
reflective practice within "communities of learning" [the latest buzz
words] is a constraint that is real and limiting.

Larry