[Xmca-l] Re: Winn's Exploring the Literate Trajectories of Youth across Time and Space

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 29 10:56:56 PDT 2015

Peter--- Thanks to Greg McV's mediation  :-))  I wanted to ask you the
question I have been asking on the list in general but not getting much
help with ( or not understanding much of the help I was getting!).

You write at the end of your summary of Maisha's narrative,

*And so she explores trajectories that are robust and highly energized, yet
that depart from those taught and assessed formally in education.*

So here is my question in a nutshell. The big lesson i took from Maisha's
trajectory of work was not only that there is a vibrant, literate, cultural
thriving alongside of school failure, there are teachers with lives in both
worlds who appear to be able to bridge those worlds for the kids so that
schooling makes sense, has its uses and interpretations,
 in two worlds. (This is always true of teaching/learning in my view, but
it is very marked here in many socially significant ways).

Others have failed where several of the people who play a central role in
Maish'a narrative succeed. What are the generalizable lessons we can take
from these examples. I did not see this so much a question of trajectories,
at least in this narrative. That is probably my lack of expertise in this
line of current literacy work.

mike

--
"Each new level of development is a new relevant context." C.H. Waddington