[Xmca-l] Re: New Book on Brain-Friendly Assessments is Here!

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 08:20:13 PDT 2015

And here is one that looks to be more directly relevant to educational
neuroscience, Mary Helen Immordino-Yang. She is one of the keynote (early
career award) speakers at AERA this year. I'll paste the full details below.
Culture shapes brain shapes culture...?
-greg

AERA Early Career Award (2014) Lecture: Mary Helen Immordino-Yang,
University of Southern California

*Embodied Brains, Social Minds, Cultural Meaning: Applying Social Affective
Neuroscience to Development and Education*
Sunday April 19,  8:15 to 9:45 a.m.
Hyatt, West Tower - Gold Level - Regency C

Social emotions shape how we act, who we become, and how we experience our
own lives. But how? Mary Helen Immordino-Yang will present her research on
the neurobiology and psychology of admiration, compassion and inspiration,
including these emotions’ deep visceral roots in the feeling and regulation
of the body and consciousness, and their propensity to heighten one’s own
subjective sense of self-awareness and purpose. She will share findings
from her ongoing longitudinal study of these emotions among low-SES
adolescents from immigrant families in Los Angeles, and what the findings
reveal about how culture, family relationships, media use, exposure to
community violence and other factors shape the brain bases of emotional
experience, with implications for academic performance and life outcomes.