[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky and Deborin

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Mar 22 18:29:20 PDT 2015

(1) Deborin and his associates were Hegelians. Deborin had just
translated Hegel's Logic into Russian. It seems to me that during his
collaboration with B A Fingert and M L Shirvindt in 1930, they
straightened him out on what a concept was. This is something he could
only have learnt from a Hegelian. In writing "Ape Primitive Man and
Child" in 1929 he thought a concept was a collection of items sharing
some attribute in common, and conversely that a set was a collection of
objects united by some theory-dependent relation such as origins. This
is the wrong way around, but by the time he wrote some passages of
"History of the Development of the Higher Mental Functions" in 1931, he
had corrected this mistake. By the time he wrote "Thinking and Speech,"
concept formation is the central topic, while word meaning is the unit
of analysis. This is the same relation as that between capital and
commodity-exchange in Marx's /Capital/. So, I think that those things
which made Vygotsky stand out from all the others, which we find in
"Thinking and Speech," would have been impossible if Vygotsky had stuck
with the Logical Positivist view of concepts.

(2) Deborin was challenged purely and simply because he was too clever.
Too clever for his own good. None of Stalin's Red Professors could fault
him. But it was untenable, in the aftermath of the Russian Revolution,
that someone other than the Great Helmsman, General Secretary and Hero
of the Revolution, Comrade Josef Stalin, should have the last word on
Philosophy. He was denounced ostensibly for being concerned with
questions of philosophy which were not of interest to Soviet workers.
Deborin survived by shutting his mouth forever after (we have nothing by
him in English). But any association with him would have been a problem
for anyone's career.

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/