[Xmca-l] Re: Crises and stages/ages

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 19:05:27 PDT 2015

That 'change in social situation' interpretation does crop up quite
frequently.  But for me it is inadequate and misleading.  Particularly with
phenomena described by the Peter principle.

For me, development as a distinction from the broader notion of learning is
simply the accommodation of genuine generalisations affording greater
reflexivity.  This will, by virtue of the qualitative change, result in a
different social situation.

Rote and mere factual learning can theoretically actually lead to less
capacity for adaptation, so Simon may have a particular idea in mind.

Incidentally, I tend to pair that text of Simon's with Vicker's 'Art of
Judgement'.  Some good, more indirect, thinking there too.

Huw