[Xmca-l] Re: "Scaling up" and "Big ideas"

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Wed Mar 18 15:47:12 PDT 2015

Thanks, David.  Yes, the "hukou" is a part of the reason that the parents can't take the children with them and put them in a city public school.
The catch 22 is that the places the children have "hukou" for are losing the public schools  (all those people moving to the city, don't you know, so be rational and close those village  schools). So the children can't go to the schools that the parents attended where they learned enough to get jobs in the city...

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:07 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: "Scaling up" and "Big ideas"

Peg:

I'm afraid I don't know of any activists you could contact in China. But it seems to me that the account you have of the "left behind" families leaves out one possibly relevant piece of information. China still has a system of "hukou", which involves local registration, and functions something like the internal passport system did in Tsarist Russia and also in Vygotsky's time.

For example, my wife's hukou was in the western city of Xi'an. This meant that she couldn't legally move to the east, towards the coast, and still receive social services, such as schooling for any children she might have (because hukou is matrilineal). People from the countryside cannot receive urban "hukou" unless they either join the army or are admitted to university (and if they go to university they are often required to return to the countryside upon graduation unless their alma mater can offer them employment). Without "hukou", employment is not legal (although possible).
Schooling is out of the question. As usual, there are ways around these things. My niece's hukou was in a remote rural area, because my sister-in-law was born there, but after many years of struggle, my brother-in-law was able to purchase an urban hukou for her, and she now goes to school in the city with other children.

The obvious parallel for Westerners with no experience of internal passports is the external passport system--while capital can move freely in the west, in order to move across borders, a worker has to arrange work with an employer, and if the worker does so in a way that is perceived by the government or the locals as "illegal" or undocumented then they may not receive education and social services and they may have to leave children behind as a result. This happens in the USA along the border, and the demagogic campaigns carried out around immigration in places like Arizona are designed to aggravate it to the point where "self-deportation" occurs.
(You remember that in the last election, Mitt Romney crafted a whole immigration policy around the persecution of foreign-born workers, especially those with children.)

I think that, as in the West, the main activist groups you will find around this issue in China will be lobbying within the government and within Communist Party for the abolition of "hukou". In some areas of southern China (e.g. the Pearl River delta, there are actually businessmen who find it hard to round up cheap labor now. So there are lots of wealthy industrialists in the CCP now who would like to see the end of hukou and more flexibility in the labor market, just as some entrepreneurs in Texas would like to see immigration reform--it will greatly assist the process of driving down workers' wages.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies