[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 01:59:04 PDT 2015

I wish I could remember where I read that the first 'words' are variations of 'yum' or 'mmm' for approval and 'yuk' for disgust - exaggerated vocalisations oral 'taking in' - ingesting what is pleasurable and spitting out, ejecting what is unpalateable. So is 'ing' Chinese for 'mmm'?

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: 16 March 2015 08:28
To: Haydi Zulfei; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

This morning I went out shopping and noticed a billboard selling lunchboxes. It featured a young girl whose boyfriend was obviously off doing military service (two and half years of rigorously institutionalized bullying and beatings); she was dressed up in a military uniform and eating out of a lunchbox in solidarity with the absent one, and the sound she was making was "ing! ing!"

My sentiments exactly! I have been kicking myself, if not quite beating myself with a shovel, for arguing yesterday that consonants are differentiated before vowels. I am currently reading a set of studies coming out of China that try to argue this, and try to explain it on the grounds of the greater salience of consonant sounds. But vowels and consonants are not part of Chinese; the smallest meaningful difference in Chinese is a whole syllable. It's just another example of the imperialism of Western linguistics--everything has to be treated as if it had, deep in its guts, a Western alphabet trying to get out.

Even in English, it seems to me that vowels and consonants have to be differentiated side by side, out of some prior sound that is neither. And that prior sound? Well, actually, it's the most common sound in the Chinese repertoire--the naseopharyngealized semi-vowel that babies make when they are born, which rhymes with "ing".

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>