[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:42:48 PDT 2015

Well, of course, from the child's point of view, "Baby Bites" is probably
not even monosemous, merely alliterative.

As Haydi says--how does the child avoid Buridanism before speech? I take it
that what he means is that in order to master the system, what is required
is not simply the mindless internalization of some purely external resource
but rather (as in the crises we find in other forms of development, e.g.
sociogenesis and even phylogenesis) the constraining of some
super-productive neoformation that emerges at the interface between the
child and the environment--that is, the narrowing of the available choices
we find in ('autonomous') child language to fit the phonological system of
the mother tongue (as Halliday points out, learning a mother tongue is
really learning a second language!).

I think the answer is that the child initially treats speech as something
that is not even monosemous but merely alliterative--sound without meaning.
So how does the child master the sounds? According to the genetic law,
sounds would be initially constrained by imitation and then elaborated by
self-imitation: that is, repetition. But how?

Alliteration appears to be clearly differentiated before rhyme in English
poetry (c.f. "Gawain and the Green Knight"). Ontogenesis too? That would
mean that the child is aware of a choice of different consonants before the
child is aware of a choice of different vowels, and that does seem to be
the case.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies