[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:17:19 PDT 2015

I guess I think that the main way in which any technology (the printing
press, the computer) influences language is not directly but mediated by
society, and the main form of social mediation of language change that I am
interested in is language teaching. In some ways, the way in which the
printing press influenced English language teaching is quite easy to
discern--in 1472, William Caxton presented a printing press to Edward IV,
and within months the first bilingual, situational, phrase-based "books for
travellers" were being printed in Westminster. Interestingly, the immediate
effect was to REDUCE the number of teachers, but greatly expand the number
of learners: learning English and French became a middle class pastime (and
an extremely lucrative one, as England was a backwater, and France the most
developed economy in Europe).

But the more indirect influence of the printing press on language teaching
was more long-lasting and profound. For there, in France, thanks
to Gutenberg and his partner, Bibles were already being distributed, and in
the long run these Bibles were going to have a far bigger impact on
language teaching than Caxton's "books for travellers". Europe was in the
business of setting up absolutist regimes, and national religions were
essential to the project. In Spain and Italy, it was Catholicism, and in
Prussia and Switzerland, it was Protestantism. In France, though, it was a
mixture. Only about an eighth of the population was Protestant, but it
included sectors whose support was essential to the monarchy (e.g. Navarre,
Burgundy, the dukes of Bourbon and the valley of the Loire).

I think we COULD argue that influence of the first printed Bibles on
language teaching was ideological--it is certainly true that, Bible in
hand, the idea that every man could be his or her own pope encouraged the
merciless French rationalism that eventually, around 1660, created the Port
Royal grammar books, which were the source of Chomsky's belief that the
structure of language is the structure of the human mind itself. But the
idea that the laws of thinking and speaking could be codified by a written
text rather than by the notoriously fallible institutions of a priesthood
was already there in the form of the Quran (when Caxton brought the
printing press to England, the Moors still occupied large areas of
Spain). If we want to seek for the ideological echoes of the printing
press, we should probably look about a century earlier.

In August 1572, almost exactly a hundred years after Caxton presented his
"books for travellers" to Edward IV, the  Catholic League (with the support
of Spain, the Pope, and Charles IX and his mother Catherine de Medicis)
tried to create a religiously homogeneous France through the time-honored
tradition of genocide--the Saint Bartholomew's Day massacre. It
eventually did produce a beautiful Meyerbeer opera, Les Huguenots, and the
bloody, horrifying film based upon it, "La Reine Margot", but it didn't
succeed in its objective of creating a religiously homogenous
France.  Overnight, refugees flooded into England--with a year or so, one
in ten Englishman was a Frenchman, and we had the very first (but not,
alas, the last) teaching of English by a refugee population to itself:
English taught by non-natives to children who were destined to grow up
natives.

I've been reading the materials developed by this generation of English
teachers, and it's quite striking how different they are from the Business
English materials created by Caxton. First of all, they are dialogues.
Secondly, they are all affective or emotional in color--mostly about the
sufferings of people in France. And thirdly--most incredibly--you have
dialogues of parents with their children in a foreign language. There is
even pillow talk between a French husband and his French wife...in English,
because they recognize that for better or worse this is the language they
and their children will be speaking for the rest of their lives. True, back
home, a once-Protestant king, Henri of Navarre, was on the throne and the
creation of Europe's first multi-confessional nation-state was under way.
But the various acts of toleration were seen, by the religious minority, as
everywhere temporary (and sure enough Henri was assassinated, and his Edict
de Nantes was eventually revoked by Louis XIVth). Now that the Huguenots
had learned the trick of emigration for survival, they were not going to
forget it (which is why there are large populations of the descendants of
Huguenots all over the world, even as far as America and Australia).

And now for something completely different. At this point let me abandon
the spurious coherence that a strictly historical presentation lends to the
argument; I too shall make an almost purely ideological leap. It seems to
me that one of the legacies of this period was, actually, a much more "in
situ" approach to language teaching, one that emphasizes the inner life of
the student, and requires face to face encounters in the classroom. The
reason I was so shamelessly touting my book was that in on pp. 3-5 of the
link I sent is a short resume of the argument AGAINST computer mediated
language teaching, that runs parallel to the argument I was trying to make
about the language laboratory. It's not, actually, original with me, it's
the argument of the Dogme school of language teachers, who drew THEIR
inspiration from a kind of Brechtian revolt against Hollywood on the part
of German and Scandinavian film makers in  the nineties (Lars von Trier is
probably the best known exponent of Dogme).

http://esol.britishcouncil.org/sites/default/files/attachments/informational-page/AdogmaforEFL.pdf

On Tuesday we were discussing role play, and the experiments that Vygotsky
does in getting children to make stories using objects such as the inkwell
and a book. I had included the following picture in the agenda, just to
illustrate socio-dramatic role play:

http://www.greatnewplaces.com/images/Kids/img7189_30122012121700.jpeg

My students were struck by the fact that the child, surrounded by elaborate
tools not of her own making, seems much more interested in the objects as
objects than in their use as signs. I think in the same way, when children
play World of Warcraft, they tend to be much more interested in the roles
as roles than in the abstract rules of the game. It seems to me that there
are some trends in language teaching that are retrogressive in this way: an
activity which is intended to develop an orientation to the invisible is
reduced to one that is almost entirely visiographic, and an activity that
is intended to develop abstract thinking instead enmires it in a more
primitive form. In the same way, computers, instead of becoming means for
internalizing lexicogrammar, offer ways of keeping it at arms length.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies