[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: not to be missed: Al Maysles in Russia 1955

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 10 10:04:55 PDT 2015

Wow! It was totally different than what I anticipated. There are all sorts
of things to say about the film. The year is 1955, two years after Stalin's
death. It is not, relatively speaking, politically
ideological. The "physiological=Pavlov=Brain" opposition to American
"social relations/Freudian" emphasis obscures the political meaning of
mental illness and the use of that category-theory by the state for
purposes of social control.

Interesting in the history of documentary film? Interesting for the
categories of illness in curreny?

Apologies if its just a diversion.
mike