[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Sun Mar 8 07:07:07 PDT 2015

Hi David,

My guess is that the primary impact of the printing press for many years was to keep a bunch of monks from developing carpel tunnel syndrome.  I doubt anybody foresaw the large distribution systems of texts let alone the invention of public libraries.  Maybe we are in a similar place with the Internet - although history seems to have sped up quite a bit.

The idea of comparing the Internet to the printing press seems relatively new (perhaps I'm wrong) and I'm not sure how helpful it is.  First because I don't know if that is that best of historical analogies, and second because I don't know how much we actually gain from historical analogies.

People have compared it to the invention of the telephone, to the invention of the governor (the thing that maintains machines not Arnold Schwarzenegger), I think if Lewis Mumford were alive today he would compare it to the invention of the mechanical clock - just came off a big discussion about this and it is currently my favorite in the way it changes our conceptions of time, space, the way we work, the way we do leisure.

The printing press and the Internet -

Well similar impacts in that they both involve the distribution of information/knowledge

Very different impacts in that the printing press is about the way we consume language while the Internet is more about the way we think.

Opposite in that the printing press was used to individualize and reify text as knowledge while the Internet at least might (and at its best) id used to collectivize knowledge/information and make it more dynamic.

Perhaps one of the most important philosophical lines of our time,

I've got a horse right here....his name is Paul Revere....and the man does day it the weather's clear....can do....can do....the man says the horse can do.

We choose our favorites, we listen to what its backers tells us, and if everything works out exactly as they tell us they think it will in the future....well, can do!!

The reason the line is so great is the subtext - it almost never works out that way.  We’re going to have to see where the Internet takes us.

Michael