[Xmca-l] Re: "cultivating Minds

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:58:42 PST 2015

Sometimes xmca reiterates.

This isn't always a good thing; it's often because someone (usually me)
wants to say the same thing a second time and just can't come up with a
better way of saying it. But sometimes it's a good thing, either becuase
the list as a whole has forgotten something it once knew or (better) there
are new people who weren't here for the first part of the conversation, or
(best of all) a thread has really turned into a kind of Moebius strip and
is doubling back on itself, but in a way that brings something that was
only implicit out and makes it explicit.

All of which is an excuse for me to recycle the following posting, which I
wrote many years ago when my friend the performance artist Shu Yang was
last in Seoul.

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2010_11.dir/msg00242.html

I think the point I'm trying to make here--but it is implicit and I will
try to make it a little more explicit--is that we should have predicted all
the sensationalist and EXHIBITIONISTIC excesses of today's performance art,
simply from the fact that performance art is ART, and art in a bourgeois
society will inevitably centre on the all-conquering, all-absorbing,
all-obscuring individual. So today performance art sees the body as its
main asset, but by doing this it has turned the body into its main
obstacle. Seeing performance art as a projection of performance, the body
denies performance art as an injection of art.

If performance art wants to be art and not just performance, then it has to
grasp the basic Vygotskyan principle that art is not the socialization of
bodily feelings, but on the contrary, the individuation of a social
feeling. That's what made Shu Yang's performance art, and the other
performances mere performance.

Reiterate xmca...sometimes.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies