[Xmca-l] Sheila Jasanoff on Civic Epistemology

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Jun 29 22:05:58 PDT 2015

In the course of reviewing the literature on climate change
scepticism, I came across this wonderful writer, Sheila
Jasanoff, who, as part of her argument against the idea that
scientists' have about "public understanding of science" and
if only the people had a better understanding of science,
then things would be much better, introduced this idea of
"civic epistemologies" which are different from country to
country. From Marxist literature I was already aware of some
of this, but she makes a detailed study of the differences
between Britain, the US and Germany, which are immediately
revealing. This caused me to reflect on Australian civic
epistemology, and I almost laughed when I then recalled the
debate on climate change we have had in Oz, and how it
typifies our own civic epistemology.
Jasanoff has nothing to do with Vygotsky, but the CHAT
critique of cross-cultural psychology, culture-free
conceptions of knowledge and the historical formation of
knowledge find plenty of resonances within Jasanoff's ideas.
I have attached a chapter from one of her more well-known
books for the interest of xmca-ers.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/