[Xmca-l] Re: Ruqaiya Hasan

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:07:43 PDT 2015

Gente,
Perhaps Labov was being demagogic in his criticism of Bernstein. It’s also true that his contributions to the dialog on race in the U.S. have been fundamental, so that one of the reasons we can talk now about Black English as rich and rule-governed, rather than an impoverished and degenerate form of Standard English, is thanks to him. (Sapir, served much the same role in describing indigenous languages of the U.S. Take Navajo ) So, how is it that Labov can be fighting racism while being ethnocentric? Posturing for a good cause? And where do we draw the line between friends and enemies? Compared to Vygotsky we academics live in very safe times. When he was alive, it was mortally unsafe to say some things. And who knew then how fast the weather was changing, and in which direction? Who believes that Vygotsky would have lived, if T.B. hadn’t killed him? I say it’s safe now, but I understand that Black people don’t see it the same way. In fact, being an academic isn’t always safe, is it? Depends on what you mean by “safe”, I guess.

Henry

P.S. David, you said you were “too easy on Obama’s speech and that “grace” is not earned. So Obama was being imprecise about the meaning of “grace", but it wasn't Obama who was being “stupid” and “heartless”, right? Sorry if I don’t get what you mean, except that it seems to be an important issue and relevant to the things said by Labov about Bernstein. And it is about the larger issue of this thread: Grammar. I guess I am saying that while linguists can do their best to describe language structure, but it always falls short of the richness of the object. Meaning is always lost. In that sense, scientific concepts (for example, those of linguistics) are really an impoverished and degenerate version of true concepts. I exagerrate here, but I think I am echoing some of the problems of interpreting Vygotsky on concepts (true concepts and scientific concepts, especially) expressed by you, Paula Towsey and Mike Cole on the Vimeo link you provided a few posts back. And here’s the broken record: Raquaiya is right: We need and theory of grammar for CHAT, to do justice to language in a Vygotskian framework. Don’t get me started.

 <https://vimeo.com/13550409>
 <https://vimeo.com/13550409> <https://vimeo.com/13550409>