[Xmca-l] Re: Ruqaiya Hasan

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 22:39:50 PDT 2015

Good on Carol’s challenge and David’s response. But I would I take the term “conventional” to mean “cultural” and much preferable to “arbitrary” when describing the pairing of phonemes and morphemes. I think this is an important issue, if we are to take Port Royal Grammar and Saussure to be a useful point of departure for a theory of grammar for the CHAT.
Henry