[Xmca-l] Re: managerialism in academia: a critique of "against students"

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 12:53:01 PDT 2015

The title seems to be lacking something about sexual harassment.  Is there
a claim that this all that is wrong with academia?  That, unfortunately,
would be quite good news...

Addressing the title, it seems to me that a significant problem related to
academia is that it is largely supported by institutions.  These
institutions arrange for "students" to do "research" and are provided with
"supervision".  Therein, one has all the ingredients for a thriving culture
of Orwellian doublespeak fuelled by NDPB and related revenue streams.

So, yes, the problem is with students.  What students should do is stop
allowing themselves to be treated as "students" and start doing research!

Best,
Huw