[Xmca-l] Re: Ruqaiya Hasan

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 03:29:06 PDT 2015

I think that Ruqaiya was the only person I ever met who set out to
"correct" Vygotsky and actually succeeded: her insight was that Vygotsky's
theory, without a theory of grammar, was inevitably going to focus too
narrowly on lexical meanings and their historical derivations. As Vygotsky
himself pointed out, it's very hard to tell when children's word meanings
develop. But Ruqaiya pointed out that it's very easy to tell when their
wordings do.

I was hoping to see her at the next ISFC in Germany next month--I'll miss
her.

David Kellogg