[Xmca-l] weRe: Re: Lloyd Alexander on becoming (and Heidegger?)

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 22:11:36 PDT 2015

Annalisa,

in what way do you see Spinoza as key. I have recently read Jan Derry's chapter titled Spinoza and Free Will and it seems that Spinoza can be read in multiple ways. Jan says for Spinoza free will depends on whether the thought that drives an action is ADEQUATE. How close to this term “adequate” is the term “proper thought” that guides action.

Jan mentions that Spinoza is often read as a determinist but Spinoza can be read as theorizing freedom in a radically different way that depends on self-determination using adequate ideas.

Becoming in this tradition requires adequate concepts as a key aspect of change.

Sent from Windows Mail