[Xmca-l] Fwd: [DCOG-HCI] Fwd: 2 Assistant Professor Positions (tenure-track) in Designing Quality Interaction Group, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 9 09:51:22 PDT 2015

great faculty opportunities.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ron Wakkary <rwakkary@sfu.ca>
Date: Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM
Subject: 2 Assistant Professor Positions (tenure-track) in Designing
Quality Interaction Group, Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
To: "Wakkary, R.L." <r.l.wakkary@tue.nl>

Dear colleagues and friends,

We are seeking 2 tenure-track Assistant Professor positions to join our
newly formed research chair "Impact of Interaction Design on Everyday Life"
in Eindhoven, Netherlands at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
in the Industrial Design Faculty. I joined TU/e as a Chair in conjunction
with my position at Simon Fraser University. Together with Stephan Wensveen
and Oscar Tomico this group is part of the Designing Quality in Interaction
(DQI) group in Industrial Design.

These positions are a great opportunity to do interaction design research
and teaching alongside an incredible group of designers, design
researchers, educators, and students in a great environment like TU/e and
design city like Eindhoven.

If you are interested or have a recent PhD graduate or soon to graduate PhD
who would be interested then contact me or have them contact me. Please
circulate this call widely!

I appreciate your help and interest.

best,

Ron

p.s. note that the deadline on the TU/e website is incorrect. We will
accept applications through to August 1st but commence interviews as soon
as we have qualified candidates.

2 Assistant Professor Positions (tenure-track) in Designing Quality
Interaction Group, Industrial Design, Eindhoven University of Technology
(TU/e)

We are seeking two Assistant Professor positions in the “Impact of
Interaction Design on Everyday Life” core chair research group that is part
of the Designing Quality in Interaction (DQI) capacity group.

Visit:
http://jobs.tue.nl/en/vacancy/assistant-professors-2-fulltime-positions-220175.html
for more information and to apply online.

The Impact of Interaction Design on Everyday Life research group focuses on
reflective explorations in interaction design. Our research investigates
the changing nature of interaction design in response to everyday design
and social practices such as home life, amateur experts, fashion and
sustainability. In particular, we research everyday creativity,
materiality, and critical reasoning in design that leads to inquiries on
new types of interaction design artifacts, materials, and methods. In the
spirit of research through design, we aim to be reflective and generative,
uncovering new and emergent practices of design that help to shape both the
design of and relations to technologies.

The Designing Quality in Interaction (DQI) group is a strong and
forward-looking group of researchers and educators that shares a set of
common values in approach and motivation. These values are characterized by
a holistic and designerly approach to research and education in which we
highly value ‘making’ as the mechanism to gain new insight and theory. Our
take on design and design research is strongly flavoured by our theoretical
positioning that highlights embodiment and ethical and socio-cultural
aspects of design. Consequently, we experientially investigate how meaning
(information for use) can emerge in interaction and how we can design for
meaning in (interactive and intelligent) systems, products and related
services. We regard the aesthetical aspects of form, interaction and
behaviour as paramount in this. This also influences our research method as
we adopt (and have pioneered) a Research through Design approach.

We are looking for candidates for the two Assistant Professor positions
that have a good sense of quality and affinity with craftsmanship in the
field of (physical) interaction design and who can strengthen us as a group
by complementing us in terms of skills, insight and theoretical background.
The candidates should have a PhD in interaction design, human-computer
interaction, industrial design, information studies, or related
disciplines. Within the domain of interaction design the candidate should
have proven skills and knowledge in interaction design or human-computer
interaction, and should be able to set up and conduct design research that
is grounded in relevant theories from social sciences, philosophy of
technology, or design. A candidate should have a track record of
publications in top journals and conferences, and should be open and
interested in an industrial and interaction design environment. Strong
methodological skills (e.g. qualitative user research methods or research
through design) are required. The candidate has affinity with education and
is willing to integrate his/her teaching and research activities in a
theme. We warmly welcome a high quality design (research) portfolio and
encourage the candidate to position himself/herself in our group in the
motivation letter in terms of strengthening and complementing.

General information about the Department Industrial Design, candidates will
find on http://www.tue.nl/en/university/departments/industrial-design/
About this position candidates can get more information from Prof. Dr. Ron
Wakkary, “Impact of Interaction Design on Everyday Life” core chair, email:
r.l.wakkary@tue.nl,.

If you have any questions about the application procedure or labour
conditions, please contact Annemarie Hendriks, HR advisor, telnr. +31 40
247 5954 (HR-IndustrialDesign@tue.nl).

-----
Ron Wakkary

Visiting Professor and Chair of the Impact of Interaction Design on
Everyday Life
Industrial Design
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
Eindhoven, Netherlands

Professor, SIAT
Simon Fraser University
Surrey, BC, Canada
t. 778 782 2322
http://www.sfu.ca/~rwakkary

--
Scott Klemmer · Associate Professor · UC San Diego
Design Lab · Cognitive Science · Computer Science & Engineering

Listen to BBC's Forum where we discuss the future of learning
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02qm95w

All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes
you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something
that isn't even visible. N. McLean, *A River Runs Through it*