[Xmca-l] Re: The idea that our categories are created

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 06:18:15 PDT 2015

Michael, Daniel,

As I was reading this thread I was asking the same question about the theme
of "progressions" as deep pattern perceptions across modalities. Michael
wrote:

"Yet for whatever reasons there don't seem to be attempts made to maintain
these connections, recognize that these are variations on a theme - that
perhaps are made richer by understanding the relationships between Lewin's
"progressions" and Cobb's "progressions."   It is the Internet that helped
me tie these things together - but when does the ability to tie ideas
together lead to a cancophany of sound that overwhelms rather than supports
our mission"

This general question of "themes" that run through deep pattern perceptions
[as background that recedes towards invisibility] but is NECESSARY for the
various "progressions" to proceed.

Daniel's answer that carries forward the conversation was thought provoking:

"So we navigate connections between works by seeing likeness and meaning in
them. People will listen for such meanings, just as we see faces in clouds
and constellations in the night sky - our minds seek them out even when
there is no original formative intent. As a musician I feel that people
with musical training, sensibility, and feeling should have something to do
with making meaningful connections happen"

I want to highlight [bring to the fore] the comment "our minds seek them
[likeness AND meaning] OUT even when there is no formative INTENT"  The
question I play with is the relation of "intent" residing invisible AS A
THEME [in the way Michael used this term] with multiple "progressions" but
with the "moves" constrained and CONTAINED within this THEME.

Now "intent" also may be perceived as the individual "listening for such
meanings" [progressions on a THEME] just as we see "faces in clouds"
[imaginal presences] that are NOT REALLY THERE and are "fictive" and
"created".

The question of the link between "intent" that resides in the individual
imaginal realm AND the link that resides in deep pattern perceptions that
"run through" THEMES.

"thinking" and "thought" as "intent" seems to have this PRO-found "link"
that has an imaginal ASPECT [creative, imaginal, phenomenological] and
also thinking and thought has this deep pattern recognition that
"progresses" WITHIN THEMES.

I will pause here but I hear the same question in David's recent post on
"chess" and movement  of the pieces constrained and contained by NECESSITY
within THE "progressions" on a "theme".  This question of temporality and
duration [deep pattern time AND phenomenological in the MOMENT event time
that are LINKED.

Daniel, I agree that people with musical training sense-ability and feeling
[for moods]  should have something to do [and say] with making meaning
connections happen.

I would add a question exploring  "progressions" as having various
qualities of expression as they are EX-pressed with "intent".

Progressions may include BOTH  spatial connections and temporal
connections at different "scales" [double meaning].: For example -

* narrative dynamics expressing INTENT [as progression in dimensional
time and space which is the more common sense experience of
"progressions" THIS expression may include the "themes" that are invisible
in the background while the progressions are expressed in the foregoround

 AND

*  "event" dynamics that may have a different "quality" or "character" or
"value" within our expressions. in contrast to "narrative
dynamics" Expressions such as the event of "faces in the clouds" that "show
up" and have a quality of being immediate AND."im-pressionistic expressions
happening in the "moment".

WHAT is the "link" and HOW do we understand the "intent" of these various
pro-gressions [in time and space]?

I hope this stream of reflections is a "progression" on this theme and not
mere cacophony.

Larry