[Xmca-l] Re: The Ideological Footprint of Artifacts

Lubomir Savov Popov lspopov@bgsu.edu
Fri Jun 5 08:03:06 PDT 2015

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the challenges☺

In this case, I am not talking about the use of the word ideology, I am talking about the nature of ideology in the political and social realms. People use the word in many different ways, and define the phenomenon in many different ways. Ideology is an institution, a system of ideas, guiding principles, etc., many things. I will stop short now of a full treatise on this topic. In the professional realms ideology is used in a very different ways. The most important implication is that the professional ideology is a system of ideas that might or may not be based on science. Just guiding principles that a person has endorsed, assimilated, and started to use.

Good science should not be ideological because the two institutions are incompatible. They have different functions in society. Both institutions develop ideas, but the purposes and the methods are completely different. The fact that both institutions develop ideas doesn’t tell us much. Literature also develops ideas, as well as mythology and folklore. But they are neither science nor ideologies.

Lubo

From: Andy Blunden [mailto:ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2015 10:51 AM
To: Lubomir Savov Popov; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: The Ideological Footprint of Artifacts

Well, this is the whole issue of the ambiguity in how people use the word "ideology" isn't it, Lubmir?
You use "ideology" in the pejorative sense, therefore good science cannot be ideological, only bad science.
Fair enough. But I would go part way to the way David uses the word, ideology is a system of ideas, and science most certainly is a system of ideas, and also characteristic of a certain social strata or institution, but not thereby self-serving, dangerous, etc.

:)
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/