[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Jul 22 08:45:48 PDT 2015

Well, they're Yrjo's words so he will have to tell you, but
I can tell you how I've construed them.
Not until you asked, did I see that there is ambiguity in
the phrase. I had always taken it that the purpose and
motive is "in the nature" of the Arbeitsgegenstand. I think
Yrjo gives an example somewhere of a person who is ill - it
is obvious that the illness needs to be cured. So I read "in
itself" literally. "in it" would be the same.
But there is an alternative Hegelian reading, that in the
Arbeitsgegenstand, the is an OBJECT which is only "in
itself," that is, not yet realised, and that makes good
sense. It slides over the point that Larry raised, that the
OBJECT is not in the Arbeitsgegenstand alone but in the
relation of the Arbeitsgegenstand to the Subject, but that
is consistent with how Hegel uses the phrase "in itself."

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/