[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 08:11:17 PDT 2015

Andy, you have helped clarify why I have been [and remain] confused on the
notion of "object"

I will try to focus on one particular relation you have highlighted.
If I am clear on your distinctions then:

It is not the Arbeitsgegenstand ALONE [the object OF labour or the object
upon which labour works]  where the problem resides. The problem is NOT
carried WITHIN the Arbeitsgegenstand as an abstraction.  The OBJECT
[purposes and motives]  includes also the "concept" that the subject-person
 makes OF the arbeitsgegenstand [object OF labour].

So it is the concept's relation WITH the arbeitsgegenstand [object OF
labour] that generates  "subject's socially shared OBJECTs [purposes and
motives].

Andy, I may have garbled your construal of the relations involved in these
two meanings of "object", my question is  why not just say "object of
labour" [when we mean arbeitsgegenstand] AND say "purposes and motives"
when we mean OBJECT.

In the same way that Dewey wishes he had used a different term
for "experience"  it seems we need alternative terms for "object".

I am also struggling to understand the historical movement implied in the
alternative changing OBJECTs [purposes and motives]  expressed in how
a term is situated.

The notion of "polyphonic" languages with  shifting meanings and OBJECTS
seems very complex and seems to require expansive understandings of
multiple different "language-games" [as Wittgenstein uses that concept.

The labour process AND the conceptual process and multiple modern /
postmodern understandings of "their"  [using personal pronoun] relations.
Very complex process.