[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Lplarry lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 07:18:53 PDT 2015

Rolf,

Here is how McNeill summarizes the way he is structuring or organizing the features of his theory. (see page 5)

"The metaphoricity of the gesture was in this way an ESSENTIAL feature of speech and thought, and the linkage of both to context."

Does McNeil "adequately" convince that THIS way of organizing the features (metaphoricity, gesture, speech, thought, context) describes the  continuing way we move together as place making (meaning).

THIS  micro analysis of the features of place making as capturing a feature ( the metaphoricity of gesture that is ESSENTIAL) means that if this feature is missing then place making does not come into being/form.

The bringing into form /structure  the image-speech dialetic depends on the NECESSITY of the metaphoricity of  gesture.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Rolf Steier" <rolfsteier@gmail.com>
Sent: ‎2015-‎07-‎20 6:18 AM
To: "Andy Blunden" <ablunden@mira.net>; "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

I think that a particular institution or government system could
potentially be a boundary object depending on how the concept is applied.
Star describes three criteria: 1) interpretive flexibility 2) material/
organizational structure and 3) scale/ granularity in which the concept is
useful.

She argues that boundary objects are typically most useful at the
organizational level - so I would say that one would have to justify the
utility of applying the concept to a particular institution, as opposed to,
say, an object within an institution.