[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Rolf Steier rolfsteier@gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 06:13:40 PDT 2015

I think that a particular institution or government system could
potentially be a boundary object depending on how the concept is applied.
Star describes three criteria: 1) interpretive flexibility 2) material/
organizational structure and 3) scale/ granularity in which the concept is
useful.

She argues that boundary objects are typically most useful at the
organizational level - so I would say that one would have to justify the
utility of applying the concept to a particular institution, as opposed to,
say, an object within an institution.