[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Rolf Steier rolfsteier@gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 04:42:48 PDT 2015

Hi Andy -
Good catch! I believe that is a typo and should read "despite a LACK of
consensus". Thank you for pointing that out.

I also wanted to follow up on a suggestion that Greg made in the other
thread suggesting we look at David McNeill's work. I had only been familiar
with his earlier work on gesture, but after doing a bit of reading over the
weekend, I found his concept of  'unexpected metaphors' potentially useful
in dealing with some of my questions.(
http://mcneilllab.uchicago.edu/pdfs/unexpected_metaphors.pdf )

Here is a relevant quote describing unexpected metaphors as a form of
gesture:

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> but
>> are in a sense *discovered* by the participants.
>>

>> I think there is something really fascinating about this kind of
>> creativity
>> and resourcefulness in interaction that could be explored more deeply -
>> and
>> that I'm having trouble articulating. Maybe some of you have some thoughts
>> on this? Alfredo - I know we've talked about this a bit before so maybe
>> you
>> can add a little clarity to my question.
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM, HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Alfredo,
>>> Thank you very much for the sketch of your roots. I taught English in
>>> Puigcerda and Barcelona for 5 years back in the early 70s, just before
>>> Franco died. (He died the day I boarded the plane back to the U.S.) Place
>>> and language are interesting, especially where language varieties meet.
>>> Boundaries. I know mostly from my familiarity with the music of Catalunya
>>> and Mallorca that the speech communities in each of those places treasure
>>> their unique languages (Catalan and Mallorquin), yet see a commonality
>>> vis-a-vis their separateness from Castilian Spanish, the national
>>> language
>>> of Spain from 1492 on. I see a parallel between your work on boundary
>>> objects, where individual persons collaborate to create spaces, AND
>>> boundary objects “negotiated” by groups of people who live in real
>>> spaces.
>>> I am thinking, among other things, of indigeneity, a big topic here in
>>> New
>>> Mexico, with so many Native Americans. Assymetries of power. Bullying.
>>> Testing and curriculum become instruments of war by other means. I hope
>>> my
>>> tone does not distract from, nor diminish, the optimism created by this
>>> thread. Yet I think that optimism is so precious because of the ground
>>> (the
>>> world) of the dialog.
>>> Henry

>>> of Valencia, where Catalan language is official language together with
>>> Castilian Spanish. Although Valencia (the county) and Catalonia are
>>> different regional counties, Catalan is spoken in Catalonia, Valencia,
>>> and
>>> the Balear Islands. Some call the three together as the Catalan
>>> Countries.
>>> I don't like borders, but I respect and enjoy cultural diversity.

>>> also in Spain and in Catalonia; but education has been so battered during
>>> the last years of right-wing government that I the debate have been more
>>> about means and access than about contents and aims. Which in some sense
>>> may be good because it moves the debates away from performance. But I
>>> have
>>> been living outside of Spain for eight years now, so I am not the best to

>>> Pollock).  The atmosphere was brooding, making it more likely that
>>> viewers
>>> would move towards internal reflection.  All of these were constraints
>>> that
>>> canalized perspectives and feelings viewing the paintings.  You really
>>> had
>>> only two choices, you moved in to the paintings or you moved on, which I
>>> had done every previous time coming upon them.

>>> abilities to perceive the painitings.  This was something that could not
>>> be
>>> designed I think because nobody could think that moment was going to
>>> happen.   So then what is a perceived affordance.  Way back when there
>>> was
>>> also a Manet room.  It was a round room with different variations of his
>>> water lilies in a circle.  Almost the exact opposite in constraints it
>>> was
>>> large, airy, a lot of natural light.  If you were looking to brood you
>>> went
>>> somewhere else.  In the middle of the room was a wooden structure (not an
>>> obvious bench), but you realized as random colors dissolved into water
>>> lilies that you wanted to sit down.  You naturally moved to the center of
>>> the room and sat (wondering if a guard would come and tell you it was
>>> actually an important piece of art and you should get off).  The designer
>>> anticipates a desire to soak in the room, to almost get dizzy in the
>>> lights, and included in the design the piece of wood that will have the
>>> perceived affordance for sitting, changing your concept of time and
>>> space.

>>> transactions.  Although he does seem to think that it is possible to
>>> create
>>> a larger field of action so we can see at least local interrelationships.
>>> But his idea of experience is also very much one of discovery based on
>>> needs at the immediate moment - social relations act as a vehicle for
>>> these
>>> discoveriesn(Dewey of course was writing before Gibson and for most of
>>> his
>>> life before cybernetics.  I also wonder what he thought of cybernetics).

>>> constrained because no matter what, you cannot turn right.  Your
>>> direction
>>> has already been partially determined by the designer of the road.  But
>>> the
>>> mistake we make is in thinking that also controls the trajectory of the
>>> individual's journey.  The effect of designers on trajectories of action
>>> is
>>> important, but limited.

>>> individual's
>>> and a group's that limit possible trajectories on an individual's
>>> journey.
>>> But we should never mistake those constraints for affordances.  I think
>>> Bateson might argue it is hubris to do so.  Perhaps this is what you are
>>> saying Alfredo.

>>> affordances.  What I grab for the spoon because its shape makes sense in