[Xmca-l] Re: Provocative song

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:20:02 PDT 2015

It’s really “The Tables Turned” again, isn’t it? Yet one of the most
practical things that a teenager can learn in school is the intimate way in
which knowledge that seems purely abstract is linked to everyday life. Like
“The Tables Turned”, the medium contradicts the message. The message is
really an appeal for the concrete, the particular, and the real against
knowledge which is abstract, general, and merely potential. And yet the
medium is—rap lyrics, Youtube and the internet.

Rap lyrics are full of abstractions. Just as an example,  the list of
“practical’ things we don’t learn in school that most purely abstract of
all concepts, human rights. Youtube is completely general—that is what
allows him to get tens of thousands of “likes” and reach millions of
people. And of course the programme he is pushing is mere potential, and
the internet is not real at all: there is no such place. In the end, what
he is really saying is just: "like this", "don't like that".

Meh. Feh.

David Kellogg