[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

Susan Davis s.davis@cqu.edu.au
Sun Jul 19 00:54:49 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I am an xmca lurker, but am particularly interested in some of the matters
raised on this thread in relation to experience, the arts perezhivanie and
learning so I will venture forth! My particular background has been drama
(including process and improvised forms of drama) and teacher education
but I have been involved in many projects working with children and young
people.

I would like to present a number of points for consideration that respond
to some of the issue raised:

It is important to note that Dewey was making a point that the
art-making/creative experience was somewhat different from general
experience per se.

In relation to art and experience, art-making becomes a mediated,
expressive and reflective process whereby experience is crystallised and
ideas/emotions internalised and externalised in specific expressive modes.
Through art and creative processes, experience and emotion is shaped
through expressive 'forms', with the subjects or agents projecting and
externalising their expression of emotion and ideas.

Through art making these emotions and ideas are not just Œexperienced¹ but
selected, shaped and communicated socially in
some material form.  ³Selection and organization of material are at once a
function and test of the quality of the
emotion experienced² (p. 72).  These forms (such as art, music, theatre
and so on) are realised through reflection-in-action which involves
processes of selection and the relationship of qualities (and here
Eisner¹s work on the quality of qualities is also
pertinent) ­ ³Only when the constituent parts of the whole have the unique
end of contributing to the consummation of a conscious experience, do
design and shape lose superimposed character and become form² (p. 122).
Dewey¹s work draws attention to the process
and materiality of the making, and the embodiment of emotions and
imagination through Œform¹ involving these processes of selection,
organisation, elimination and resolution: ³In short, art, in its form,
unites the very same relation of doing and undergoing, outgoing and
incoming energy, that makes an experience to be an experience².  (Dewey,
1934:50)

Therefore when it comes to possibilities to studying perezhivanie or
children¹s experience, while you can never get inside their
personal experience, it is possible to record their external expressions
of experience (through video/audio etc) and also their art-making
(drawing, dance,dramatic play, songs etc) and also engage them in
reflection-on-action about their experience.  It is also possible to trace
ongoing activity and expressions to trace their appropriation of concepts
and tool use and the development of ideas in their externalised
expressions.

In relation to experience and reflection perhaps it is worth considering
two different notions of reflection and two different Russian terms that
relate to experience ­ perezhivanie and opyt. At a Perezhivanie forum
convened at Monash University earlier this year Nikolai Veresov noted that
in Russian the title of Dewey¹s book used another word Œopyt¹.Opyt implies
an experience that is in the past or is like the Œaccumulated body of
experience¹ (see Meshcheryakov in Blunden 2010).  However, it could be
argued that what Dewey was discussing was perezhivanie and a much more
immediate, active process, as Dewey says ³Experience Š..it signals active
and alert commerce with the world²(Dewey 1934, p. 18).

I wonder if there has been any recent analysis of the Russian translations
of Dewey¹s ŒArt as experience¹ to consider whether it really is
appropriate to translate it as opyt or whether it should be perezhivanie
(or perhaps both).

Likewise in art making and criticism, two different types of reflection
are involved, as proposed by Schon ­ reflection-in-action and
reflection-on-action.  These inform the immediate experience but also the
ongoing possibilities for the experience to be remade, reconceived and
inform future experience (and perhaps as Beth suggestions chains of
ideas/events/experience). Reflection-in-action is an active reflective
process that is part of the art-making experience, where the artist is
actually reflecting upon what is happening and being created, and drawing
on their toolkit of skills and knowledge and weighing up the qualities of
such to make moment by moment decisions about what to do next.  This
experience has a unity in itself, however there is also a provisionality
about it.  Reflection-on-action may then be engaged in after the
event/experience, as the experience is interpreted and made sense of and
other modes of expression and communication may be involved (eg.
Reflecting on a visual arts or music experience using verbal or written
language). This may be an act in itself or may inform further creative
activity and experience that may even extend upon, reinvent or reinterpret
the first.

I look forward to hearing some of your thoughts about these points.
Kind regards

Sue Davis

Dr Susan Davis
Senior Lecturer | School of Education & the Arts/Higher Education Division
CQUniversity Noosa, PO Box 1128, Noosaville Qld 4566
P +61 (0)7 5440 7007 | M +61 (0)418 763 428 | E s.davis@cqu.edu.au