[Xmca-l] Re: Having an experience

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 14:00:23 PDT 2015

Wordsworth's "Simon Lee" was nominated for the BBC's worst poem in English
several years running, and (if I remember correctly) finally won it shortly
before the competition was abolished and replaced with the Evelyn Waugh
award for bad sex writing (here D.H. Lawrence was the man to beat).

My professor Henry Widdowson wrote a whole book chapter on what makes
"Simon Lee" so bad, and--better--how Widdowson solved the Simon Lee problem
perfectly and how this solution made the Lucy poems possible. (Details in
the attached chapter from my book, pp. 15-14). That is what is exciting
about Wordsworth--he really couldn't tell the difference between his bad
poems and his brilliant ones, and instead of just burning the former and
publishing the latter so we remember him for his unadulterated genius, he
just sat on the lot, so today we can pick and choose, laugh and love.

Reading over Peter's offering, though, I have to admit that my book chapter
missed something truly awful about the man ("awful" in both the 19th
Century sense of "awesome" and the 20th Century sense of dreadful). The
sentimental cult of the child that permeates Dickens (think of Oliver
Twist, Little Nell, and the scarcely disguised pedophilia of Little Dorrit)
begins here. It's Wordsworth who retrieves from France and popularizes
Rousseauvian ideas about children and education. But the way he does this
is quite grim: it's a cult for the DEAD child; the child who does not
develop ("We are Six").

Together with Coleridge, Wordsworth was a champion of something called the
"Madras Method" in education--this was an early form of behaviorism that
emphasized unconditional obedience, originally designed for the bastard
offspring of British soldiers in India (see Kipling's novel "Kim"). Later
this was brought back to England and made de rigueur in working class
schools in London. It really was de rigueur mortis: I went to one in 1966,
and I still smart when I think of the canings and pandybattings I earned.
Bernstein's work, written about exactly the time I was going to elementary
school in London, was partly a reaction against the Madras Method and a way
of seeking an alternative for working class youth.

David Kellogg